Saturday, April 22, 2017

UMBIES....

I have a collection of canes and umbrellas packed into a ceramic stand; it’s nestled in the corner of my living room, tucked up near the front door. There’s my father’s old cane—a rubber-tipped number he used for security as he got older; my great-aunt’s hiking cane (she scrambled all over Switzerland with it in the 1920s!); there’s even the cane I used for a month or so after my hip replacement nearly five years ago.
And there’s the two umbrellas (“umbies,” my parents called them!): my father’s somber black, and my mother’s playful light-green one—it’s covered with frogs in various shades of green, brown and rust!

Umbrella (Latin root “umbra” for “shade”).
The first recorded use of umbrellas was about 3,500 years ago in Egypt, where umbrellas were used for protection from the sun (so the name makes perfect sense here). They were nothing fancy; think palm leaves stuck to a stick and fanned out for maximum coverage!
Later on, the Chinese (who made multi-tiered paper umbrellas to help identify members of a multi-tiered society) figured out how to apply wax to the paper umbrella—and then it shed rainwater!
Early English umbrellas were made with wooden or baleen ribs, covered with canvas; steel ribs came in around 1850, and in 1880, Robert W. Patten invented an umbrella hat; in the 1920s, somebody invented a “pocket umbrella.”
For little rainstorms, I assume.


Here’s an early Montgomery Ward catalog offer:
“Fancy, all silk umbrellas; amber color straight bakelite handle and trim; or a new Punjab (light tan) with hooked handle, tips and end. Navy blue, green, red, purple, brown, black. Rich fine silk with wrist cord in matching color. Fashionable 16-rib gold color frame and wood rod.”
          And, oh! A scarf to match your umbrella (on right)…for another $2.10, please!






Not to be outdone, Sears, Roebuck & Co. came up with this:
“Genuine imported Swiss Gloria, a lustrous silk and cotton fabric (generally known as silk and linen). 16-rib style. Gold color frame, wood rod, ‘Tearose’ handle, stub end, tips to match. Two-tone colors: Brown, navy blue, purple, green, red or black with white combination and silver color frame.”
All that for $5.00.
Yowser!




10 comments:

  1. You & me under umbrellas! :) But I like your history angle. In the '60s I had one of those bubble umbrellas popular then. It was white with a clear plastic band so I could see where I was going. It matched my white plastic raincoat decorated with clear plastic raindrops and I wore white rain boots and a white plastic triangle scarf. (I had a 'thing' about matching in those days. Still do, actually.) And hey - fellow hip replacement buddy! I had the right done 5 years ago, and the left done 4 1/2 months ago. Sure improves the quality of life!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I, too, had an umbrella hat -- but it was wacky, with stripes and a propeller on the top! Glad your hips are fine...mine, too. What a difference!

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed your different take on the prompt in picking out the history of umbrellas. In Scotland you usually went out with either a mac or jacket with a hood, or an umbrella, such was the threat of rain. In the days when they were long and cumbersome, more suited for ladies with leisure, I was always losing and leaving mine on buses or in shops. So I welcomed the move to folding umbrellas that you could pop into your bag or briefcase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still use one, Sue; I've got one that lives in my car, too. I can't tell you how many times it's come in handy...

      Delete
  3. A great take on the theme. In my never ending search of antique photos I've noted that in the 1870-1890 period, an umbrella was a popular prop for someone to hold in a photograph. Long saber brollies for men and parasols for women, all usually folded.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen one with a knife in the handle! Always thought that was a bit drastic, but I suppose that it might come in handy sometime!

      Delete
  4. I have a similar crock of umbrellas in the foyer - grab one on the way out if you need it.

    Do companies spend money to advertise umbrellas today? People know they need one. They don't need any fancy convincing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny, but now that you mention it, I don't think I've seen advertising for an umbrella in YEARS! And isn't there some oddball museum full of umbrella sleeves someplace? Have you heard of it?

      Delete
  5. It was nice to get a bit of history about umbrellas in your post, though I’m not a fan myself; I find them cumbersome. As a fashion accessory I can see their worth, but whether I'd bother with a matching scarf, I’m not sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the matching scarf got me, too! I just can't imagine taking that kind of time ("Oh, sorry dear! It's raining, so I have to change my scarf to match my umbrella..."). But some people like that kind of coordination, so.....

      Delete