Friday, November 23, 2012

BEST FRIENDS!


Another wonderful Sepia Saturday (#153) shot!

Usually I go into Search Mode – flicking through boxes of photos to find one I can use (see my last week’s post), but this theme was an easy one for me – Best Friends!!! I knew exactly where to go to find this photograph: an old cabinet photo album that lives on the top shelf of my living room bookcase!

I’m not sure when this photograph was taken, but I’m guessing it was about 1875 or so, when these two young ladies were in high school in Gardner, Massachusetts. They were best friends – went to grade school and high school together, attended the same church.

On the left, Emma F. Whitman; on the right, Frances Taylor Sabin.

Emma Frances Whitman was born in 1857, daughter of Charles and Viola Whitman.  After her father died, her mother married Edwin Hill; Emma lived with them in Gardner while working in a printing office, until she married schoolteacher James Sullivan Stone Tidd on Christmas Day, 1882. James died on November 23, 1888, at 35 years of age, leaving Emma Tidd a widow. They had no children, and she never remarried. She was still living in the area with her mother in 1910, but at the time of the 1920 census, she was in New York with her nephew and his family.

Frances Taylor Sabin was born January 5, 1857 to Lucius Henry and Roxanna W. Adams Sabin. Her father was a carpenter and served in the Civil War (he couldn’t fire a rifle because he was missing one finger, but he could still build; he was a member of an engineering corps). On September 10, 1884, Frances married John Allen Gould in her family’s living room in Gardner; Emma Tidd was at the wedding (she and her husband James gave the couple a silver pitcher as a wedding gift). John and Frances had six children (you’ve seen a photograph of them on this blog), one of whom – Gardner Sabin Gould – was my grandfather.

Frances and John Allen Gould lived at 1206 Boylston Street in Newton, and Emma visited there frequently.  I have family diaries and letters that mention Emma Tidd; there are a couple of old photographs that have Frances and Emma together, but this cabinet photo was, by far, the best of the bunch. I also have old Christmas cards from her.

Frances Sabin Gould and Emma Whitman Tidd remained friends their entire lives. Frances died January 6, 1943 at the age of 86; I have no date of death for Emma.

NOTE: Be sure to check out http://sepiasaturday.blogspot.com

22 comments:

  1. Deb, You have a wonderful collection of photographs and memorabilia. This photo is superb and indeed perfect for this week's theme. I know exactly what you mean by reaching. The photos in our future loom large on the horizon ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many of us have collections, Liz; Sepia Saturday gives us all the avenue for making use of those photographs! Thanks for your comments.

      Delete
  2. The thing which struck me most were the birth-death dates - fifth and sixth of January - as though she waited to have another birthday first! Lovely set of facts and photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strong women in this family, believe me! Family stories suggest she tried to wait for the birth of my brother, who was born in early February of 1943!

      Delete
  3. The thing that struck me was that you know exactly what wedding present was given by Emma to Frances in 1884! It must have been in the family diaries. A charming picture of these two girlfriends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a little book that lists all the wedding presents; Frances even noted the date she sent her thank-you notes! Talk about organized!!!!!

      Delete
  4. I never cease to be amazed at the way Sepians bring out photos and detailed family stories. We have very few such photos and even less records of what went on before the 1940s. Fascinating post, Deb

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Deb, what a wonderful picture and stories of the two BFF's. The diaries must be one of your favorite treasures.

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those diaries are fabulous, believe me! They're wonderful to read, especially when I can remember most of the family members talked about, most of 'em are in my grandfather's generation. I'll post some of them sometime, I promise!

      Delete
  6. Sisters don't have to be siblings. What a wonderful friendship. And how nice for you that Frances was so organized!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yes, to stumble upon diaries! What a find! It's always so interesting to learn about folks families!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My grandmother read ALL the diaries (1885-1940) and then threw out all but 9 of them (she thought they were too boring). I could wring her neck for that, but.....the ones I have are fascinating; a way of life that is totally gone!

      Delete
  8. Glad for you you have so much info on people going that far back. I wish I knew more about my own family...
    This is truly a lovely photograph.
    :)~
    HUGZ

    ReplyDelete
  9. You sure have a lot of information about them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This family saved EVERYTHING -- letters, notes, photos! My father followed the tradition, and I'm the genealogical pack rat in my generation...

      Delete
    2. how lucky you are. I have a notebook my mother keept of religious songs and jokes, my father's notebook where he copied songs and two love poems my father wrote to my mother. that is all. Very few photos or stories from either side of the family. I envy you.

      Delete
  10. I enjoyed reading about these two best friends.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This photo says it all! It shows what a sweet friendship they shared. And how fun for you to have those diaries. What a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A wonderful story of an enduring friendship.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's a lovely photo of two girls who were obviously very fond of each other, and the detail is quite clear when you zoom in. You have a lot of family treasures :-) Jo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wendy, Jana, Nell, Jo -- forgive me for responding to you all at once; thanks so much for your nice comments! I AM lucky, I know, to have so much tangible family history, and I'll always be grateful to all those diarists, letter-writers, picture-takers and odds-and-ends collectors who came before me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's so nice that you have all that history on the two friends. It's a beautiful photo.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete